Monday, March 3, 2014

February 19, 2014

Ala Sioku Famili moekuvkaungamea ngaahi (That's Tongan)

Wow, a lot has gone on this past week and it has been wonderful. I loved being able to hear from Elder Neilson, of the 70 and being able to ask him doctrinal questions and just a lot about missionary work with him and how Elder Bednar's talk really ties into our job as missionaries. The enabling power of the atonement is such a huge part of this gospel and man, without it, life would be way hard. We need this power to overcome all our weaknesses and to make changes in our lives by using repentance. I loved the things he shared and that he let all the missionaries share insights and on their readings instead of just giving us a talk and what he knows about this talk. And he says hi to you Grandpa Pace! And so does my mission President. We got to shake his hand before he spoke to all the missionaries and man, it was great! We told him our name, where we were from and I just had to ask him if he knew you Grandpa, he said he did and that he is actually really close to you, so he says hi!! Then President heard and said, tell him hi for me too okay? Also to the family too. President said make sure you tell them hi for me okay, to family and friends. Man I love him. And he always brings up, I remember when we got to skype, such a lucky, sweet experience. 

 I came to realize that in my last area I really was just trying to get through lessons because I could tell these people were Elect and ready to get baptized. But I realize that it is so much better to take things slowly. I was just so excited to see them get baptized while I was there so we went speedily through the lessons, than realized, that wasn't the best idea for them. So we have changed. Even teaching recent converts now, we have just been teaching 1 point at a time and making sure they really understand what is being taught. With investigators we usually teach a few points from the lessons at a time unless we feel like we shouldn't. It really depends on the person, but over time I really have learned that you teach them as much as you think they can handle/take in and then keep going if things aren't too overbearing. I loved hearing him and speaking with him and of course hearing from you too. Every time we go to Lahug to hear speakers I love it and learn so much. I am always pumped to go out and work and totally filled with the Spirit. It's great!! 

Last week we did split in a way with Sister Kaafi since Sister Neri was going home. We worked in Minglanilla and Naga. it was a blast, the only problem is last week we really didn't get a lot of lessons and FTE's. I felt awful. I couldn't believe it. It has been really different here. Apart of it was that we split the amount of lessons and FTE's so it was about half of what we would have gotten in those two days. But in Lawaan we were teaching all the time and getting a lot of lessons. We usually get 25-28 lessons per week in Lawaan and here it's been about 17-19. I keep thinking it's because when we are in a lesson sometimes it takes us so long to actually teach because these people talk a ton. We have to learn to not really cut them off, but learn how to make it so you can teach and give them a little time to talk to. So this week we are working on using our time better. Also gamay kaayo lang (not very many) FTE's so this week we aren't letting any opportunity pass by that we think we will be able to talk with them about the gospel. 

We had some neat experiences this week. One actually happened last night. We were teaching the Getuaban family and the Brother smokes and we are trying to get him to overcome this so they can enter the temple and be sealed together as a family. We asked him why he wanted to enter the temple and he said because he wants to see what is inside. We asked, is that the only reason? We told him, temples aren't just to go inside and look at, but to do work/service there and enjoy the blessings coming from that. We really were stressing the importance of keeping our bodies clean and we asked him if he wanted to choose God or cigarettes, he said, both. Then I said, we cannot serve two masters, we have to choose between one. I have learned here that scripture Mastery is very important, few, i'm glad I can remember the scriptures I learned from there. And actually do have them memorized. Then as he was talking a scripture popped into my head. It is Mormon 9:21. I thought this was perfect because if he has faith and believes in Christ and asks for help to get over this addiction, it will be granted him. He will be given that strength. So at first, I thought to myself, well we already read a scripture, and this might go off on what we were just talking about, and it was getting late, we needed to go home, but I kept thinking, no I should probably share this if it came to my mind. NEVER reject a prompting right. So I just decided to share it. I had his son read it and explain what he learned from this scripture. Right after the scripture was read I looked at the Brother and he pounded his chest and sat back, I could tell that it hit him hard. I didn't think it would have that much of an effect on him, but it did, I was so happy it touched him. He explained it and really catered it to him. He said well it says here that if you are going to smoke it is going against Christ and da da da da da. Just really didn't talk about the scripture, totally catered it to smoking, and tied it in a little, just a different way then I would have explained it, but super funny. So then I explained my thoughts and it felt so powerful, the spirit was really there and he seemed a lot more willing to change. Because at first we asked him if he'd commit to stop smoking, but he said maybe, we asked him to limit his smoking and he didn't want to. We kept asking him and he wouldn't change. He was gahi kaayo (very stubborn). But we just kept testifying, promising blessings and recommitting. Finally at the end he said he will start preparing now and limit the number of cigarettes every week, so hopefully by next week he will have improved. It was great, I'm glad I acted on that prompting to share that scripture. 

Also we spent most of the day, Monday FTEing and Tracting. We really want/need to find more investigators so we are making it happen. We FTE'd a family outside and asked if we could share a short message right now. They agreed and we were happy. We actually found out that they had been baptized, but hadn't been to church in a long time. We have noticed that there are so many people who are missionary converts, not converts to the church. It is so sad. I wondered why they didn't share that they were members when we first introduced ourselves. But it was good that we asked questions so we could find out. It ended up being a really good lesson and their friend was there and actually seems really interested in the church. And another neighbor. He knew so much about Jesus Christ and the works he did here. Some people really know a lot about Christ already, it's great. 

I have loved working with Sister Villiasis, she is wonderful. She is funny, keeps me entertained, cooks amazing, healthy foods, and makes sure I am okay before she is. I wasn't feeling well on Monday. I had a fever and I was becoming tired throughout the day, but I really just wanted to work and said, don't worry, it will pass. She said, no, we need to go home and get you medicine and to sleep. I finally gave in and decided to follow her words and she made me soup, let me rest and just took such good care of me. Tuesday when I woke up I was so much better, my fever seemed to be gone and I was just being watched over. I used Elder Neilson's words to follow the example of Nephi and Alma and ask for the strength to be able to work instead of my fever to leave. It worked, my prayers were answered and we were able to go out and work on Tuesday. Also our Branch Presidency brought us fruits and a shake to help me, sweet kaayo sila! 

Nindot week this week. Thanks usab for all of the e mails I get each week from family members and friends, I am so blessed. I got the letter from Barnwells and it was AMAZING, they all gave me advice and comforting words, it was great, so Thank you tons Barnwells! It's fun to get letters and e mails. Also I got the kind words from all of the family on the Bling Bling and Ice Cream, so thank you, I will read those often, I am lucky. Thank you all for the kind words you said and Uncle Rusty for typing that all out.

I hope you all stay strong and are enjoying time in the little snow we have or whatever the weather is in Arizona, Oregon, and other places you are in. I am jealous you have a hot tub, but can't wait to experience it in the winters to come. And the skiing and all. I want you to know I pray for you all and love you all to death. TA TA FOR NOW!!! Until next week!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Countdown