Wednesday, January 22, 2014

January 21, 2014

Buenos Dias Familia y Amigos,
 
I hope all is well and everyone had a great week!!!

I got all the letters and the cute books from Thanksgiving and Christmas, wow, I didn't know they were coming so thank you so much, It really did suprise me. I loved reading each and every one of them. They all meant a ton and I loved being able to read them. Everyone is so sweet and made me feel sooooooooooo great. I loved the drawings and words from everyone. All the cousins, and family members. So thank you for making that day special. And Brother and Sister Tippetts, That picture is AMAZING and your sweet notes made my day :D
 
Oh yeah so Visaya is Cebuano. People hear, call Cebuano Visaya, so they always ask, "Kahibalo ba ka Visaya?" You know Visaya or "Makasabut ba ka Visaya?" You understand Visaya? and I will say SIEMPRE, which is a perfect way to lead into an introduction. (OO, mga missionayio mi gikan sa simbahan ni JesuKristo sa mga Santos Ulahing mga Adlaw). Yeah, we are missionaries of the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day saints. Mga Mormons. Mouthful huh? It's so great. I was talking to the Sisters in our Balaye and how it's so cool hear to be able to talk to so many people about our religion and what we believe and I say, yeah, people are always insterested and willing to talk and ask questions. But they say, they never really seem interested in us because we are Phlippino. I never thought about that really. It made me realize if I were to say, hi, I'm a missionary.  . . in Utah or some parts of the US, people would listen, but just think oh cool, but not really think it's that cool. But here, once I talk to them, I think they are just impressed I know their language so they are more willing to talk to me and want to learn more. Sorry, I know that my explanation doesn't really make sense, it's hard to explain, but I guess I just wanted to say, I'm glad I am here. I have been able to talk to so many random people about our church and what we believe and not feel dumb. It was hard to share beliefs in our hometown, but here, it's just easier. I don't know why.
 
Leslie is joining rugby. OF COURSE SHE IS!!!!! That is WONDERFUL, how does she like it? I'm so sorry to hear that people have already made friends and developed clicks from the beginning of the year, that stinks. Why do people have to be like that. I'm glad she's getting involved, that is a great way to meet people and a way to not get to tired of work, at school. Get's your mind off things. I actually almost joined rugby, but everyone warned me that I would get trampled if I joined it, since I am so small and everyone else was Tongan or Samoan. SO FUNNY!!!!
 
And man, I am jealous, you got to go cross country skiing. I'm glad you enjoyed it. It's hard huh, Miley and Abir? It takes a while to get used to, but I'm so proud you are trying so many new things here, in the US. It makes me happy and think that I need to follow your example and just try everything. I have been doing that with food more than activities since we don't have a lot of time to do things like that. This week I ate intestine. AHHHHH, no picture, but my companions said it was safe and it was a bbq treat. They had chicken head and other weird things, so I started out with just this, man I was terrified, but I was told it was LAMI JUD (very delicious) so I decided to eat it. I actually thought it had a good flavor. It had a weird texture, but other than that I enjoyed it. I have had Balut now three times, but the third time I really couldn't eat the bird so I gave it to Sister Zamora, the yoke and regular part of the egg is fine, but I just couldn't do it this time. I ate the bird the 2nd time, but kana long. (that's it) I have tried more things since both Sister Zamora or Sister Albaytar are Filippino. They are great. They get me to try it, it's fun, and unforgettable. The food here is AMAZING. I stick to things that look safe and healthy, and have tried some weird things, not dog (iro) yet though, thank goodness, I haven't run into that yet.
 
It's a little hard teaching with three people, but it's been okay. When we split, it's usually just me and Sister Albaytar, since she's techniqually the one training me, and then it is easier to bounce off each other. With Sister Zamora she takes charge more and it's harder to add our thoughts in. And Sister Zamora goes with a ward missionary, it's nice, that way we get more work done in this area. I hope that makes sense!
 
Every day I realize why I have the companions I do right now. I was so worried and dwelling on the thought of missing Sister Tandiman, but I'm okay now. I do miss all the fun times we had. We would laugh all the time, joke around with each other since we were both fine with that, get bread, and try a new one every day, really laugh and joke with the investigators, avoid turkeys, and so much more. We had so many great times and plans for the future, but it's okay, I know that I need to learn something from these two for my mission. I am so grateful for Sister Albaytar and Sister Zamora and all they have taught me. I have realized that Sister Tandiman and I were helping people progress, but teaching things a little too fast and not really focusing on their needs. Even if the next lesson is to go on to one of the commandments, it's okay to review something from the other lessons to make sure they understand it. We have one investigator, Magdelina who we really realized this with, she is the one with the great prayer. Our plan was to teach about Repentance and Baptism, and Sister Albaytar said, let's review the Restoration, and then decided to just talk about the Book of Mormon since they hadn't really read it. And it's so important in their conversion. If they don't understand the importance in the Book of Mormon so they don't read, they won't progress. And Sister Tandiman and I had been feeling that way too, the investigators in that area, enjoy our visits, but don't really understand the importance of it and having that desire to find out for themselves, if that makes sense. So we are going to review with them and help them gain that knowledge before we go to deep into things. Also our ward isn't super organized with giving duties to people in the ward to help out so last Sunday Sister Zamora took charge in asking ward members certain things and getting it all figured out. We were just kind of waiting for it to happen before, but she really helped get them to change things, make a plan, and get things organized for us as missionaries and just the ward in general.
 
We have been able to work ward missionaries in our ward, which helps a ton because there is so much work that needs to be done. So many people to see in so many places and not enough time during the week. Since there are three of us now, it's nice so Sister Zamora can go with a ward missionary and get more work done so we can make it to all the people we want during the week. This really worked well yesterday. We got 9 lessons since we had a ward missionary working with us. I am glad people are so willing to work with us. It's kind of hard though since they don't know the area yet, the ward missionaries have to do the leading, but it's worked out well.
 
Since they speak Cebuano all the time it pushes me to learn more. And I feel like I have improved so much just in this last week. It's hard sometimes though because they think I know more than I do, so when I ask, what was that, they explain it to me in Cebuano, which doesn't really help because I still don't get it. Sometimes that works, but not always. I just need to not be afraid to ask them what is going on if I don't understand. And man, they are so good at FTE's and OST's. I still feel inadequate at doing OST's, but every time I do overview, I feel better. I just need to keep practicing. Then I will feel comfortable and just point out main things, not all these words or things that aren't needed.
 
We have a baptism planned with Sister Vicky Delina for Feb 8th, so it was changed, but she is so ready and sooooooooooooooooo excited!! We are so thrilled. She knows so much and really has a strong testimony. She has investigated in the church for about 2 years and is so good. This makes me realize how we can't push people when we give them dates just because we want to see them baptized, we need to let them learn and figure out if this church is true and for them or not. Vicky has definitely done that and knows this is the true church. I love seeing investigators and their knowledge of coming to the truth. We can really see a light in her. Also we have seen so many people change. When talking about the 10 commandments and not worshiping graven images and things, they have taken pictures down and really progressed. It has been a great week and I have seen people change. Sister Zamora is bold in her teaching, but sometimes that is how we need to be. And Sister Albaytar has such a strong testimony. It's sometimes hard to teach with three people, but we are starting to become more unified in our teaching. I love it.
 
We have had great times reviewing things and making sure they have a testimony before we move on. Sometimes I get scared of Sister Zamora because of how bold she is and how she sometimes just speaks what is in her mind, but it's okay. I know she is just helping me grow even if some of the things she says makes me feel kind of down on myself I can do it. I like working with Sister Albaytar when we split, because she will have me take the lead and if she sees I'm struggling will help me and add in and connect things. When I try to get Sister Zamora to help sometimes she just sits there and lets me go, without helping. Man, it's kind of annoying, but it's good, it pushes me and I probably do need to learn to take charge of the lessons in case I get a companion that doesn't say a lot and I need to kind of be the leader. I don't know what is going to happen, but whatever it is I will know later on.
 
I'm grateful to have so many opportunities to testify of Christ and meet new people to bring them to this gospel. So many of these people here really have been prepared by our Father in Heaven and I have really noticed that lately.
 
Do something different this week that you haven't done in a while okay!!! And always stay positive and just doing the right things!!!
 
Wishing you were all here, experiencing the same things I am now, missionary work is so amazing! Thanks again for all your support, and I love you all and miss you like the dog misses it's cherry :) heheheheh
 
Sister Riggs

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Countdown