Thursday, November 14, 2013

November 14, 2013

Mauri Utu and Raoraon!!! (Hey Family and Friends in Kiribati)
Thank you everyone for your comforting words in all that we have been through. I love you all sooooooooooooooooooo much! This was our last full week!!!! Insane right? We got our travel plans and leave on Monday, November 18th. Yeah, a day earlier than I thought. Weird, but so exciting! I just really want to be able to get out there. I am loving the MTC, but seriously, I can't wait to be in the Philippines! This week has been wonderful! I got to be a host yesterday and greet all the new missionaries coming from all over the world. It was weird because there weren't as many missionaries as usual because the 6 week mark from today is Christmas and they didn't want people to have to leave Christmas day so people being here for 6 weeks will come the next week. Only 301 people came instead of the usual 600. INSANE!! So many missionaries it is wonderful! A teacher was telling us how inspired the timing was for new missionaries and that we are running out of time. That is kind of freaky. But AWESOME!!! Maybe the 2nd coming is on it's way. We have gotten to hear stories about the Philippines and just get more excited! It has been hard to focus though since it is our last week. It seems like there isn't much else we can learn here now, we'll just have to get the hang of it once we arrive. But we did have both of our MTC investigators agree to BAPTISM!!! It was so cool. Even though they aren't real, the Spirit was totally there when we talked with them and had them agree to baptism. It made us feel so good. The language is definitely coming, but there is so much I still have to learn. I know what I will be doing on the plane. Studying vocab and phrases, reading the Book of Mormon, and sleeping, hopefully catching up on sleep. It will be so nice to have so much personal time ;)
Okay so the speakers this week!! NO WAY, i feel so blessed. seriously. I got to sing in the MTC choir again and sang Redeemer of Israel, it was SUH-WEET! And I love the director. But anyway we heard from Sister Cheryl Esplin, the 2nd counselor in the Primary General Presidency who spoke to us on having faith and bringing people to Christ. In 2 Tim chapter 3 it talks about the perilous times that were going to happen, that are happening right now. It's crazy. Then we heard from Richard I Heaton again and loved it. He speaks with so much power and what he talked about really applied to our lives right now. Then, just wait for it. ... . we got to hear from . . . . . 
Elder L. Tom Perry and his wife!!! WOW, I couldn't believe it. The choir director said that enthusiasm is L Tom Perry's favorite word and it sure is. He says that to L Tom Perry uses it all the time and says it means full of the Spirit. I wanted to test it to see if he really was enthusiastic, he sure was! He jumped right up to the pulpit and throughout his talk he really showed enthusiasm. He talked a ton about the Philippines and it was neat to know about how many people know about what is going on. L Tom Perry said that the Quorum of the 12 actually talked about it today, meaning Tuesday. HOLY TAMOLEE, that's so cool. Our mission was talked about this week by the quorum of the 12 apostles.  It is so scary, but where we are going hasn't been hit. Apparently there is a lot of flooding, like always and strong winds, but nothing to harmful. I can't wait for all the service we will be doing. I know now why we all had to wait until now to go, this is so cool. I can't believe this has all happened, but hopefully  we will be able to help in some way spread some love and hope. He talked a ton about staying with your companion and how we will be protected if we are with them and love them. And so many other things I just don't have time. The main thing he stated was to 1. make sure companionship inventory happens. It is IMPORTANTE KAAYO! (super important) 2. Teach them the Scriptures, they are the most powerful tool in conversion. 3. Teach by the Spirit so be worthy to have it with you.
 4. Be a good listener to the spirit and to your investigators. 5. NEVER LEAVE a congregation without baring your witness of the truth. Wow, that was amazing. I learned so much from him and his wife and it makes want to strive to be better. I love it!
His talk made me think of my companion and things are so much better. We have gotten so close, she talks to me more now and is super cute. There still are days she doesn't talk a whole bunch, but it's probably just because we are speaking English and she really doesn't have a ton to say. she will tell me what her and her friends talk about and she includes me more. We got to talk to her parents and it was so great. They actually speak English incredibly well, I was impressed. After she talked with them she felt so much better has decided to stay on a mission for sure and it's just been wonderful. I think she just needed time with her parents to talk. She was so giddy last Thursday when we did get to talk and so cute. I LOVE HER TONS AND HAVE LEARNED SO MUCH FROM HER. I know why we were companions, so thanks for the prayers. LIFE IS GREAT ;D

So we leave this Monday and here is our itinerary: We leave Salt Lake City at 4:58 pm November 18th. We arrive in LA 5:56 pm, leave from LA at 9:10 pm, AR in Manila at 4 am, YIPEE, LV Manila at 7 am, and AR in Cebu at 8:15 sa buntag (morning)! It will be long, but so cool! Oh and we get to call our families in the Airport so I would expect us to be at the airport in the afternoon so maybe expect a call around 2, 3, or 4. If you have a time you'd like me to call please write a Dear Elder Letter to let me know when and what number to call!

So my address in the Philippines will be: 
                               Sister Laurel Ann Riggs
                               Philippines Cebu Mission
                               Temple Complex CJCLDS
                                   Gorordo St. Lahug,
                                         Cebu City
                                          6000 Cebu
as far as I know, but if it is different I will let you know for sure. Also I found out that it works better if you send things with pictures of Christ or Virgin Mary on it because then the people think that it is for the church and won't think it's valuable. But really, I won't need anything while being here. I am totally fine just waiting to receive gifts and things when I return. E-mails mean just as much, plus it will take a while to ship and is expensive so really, AYAW KABALAKA!! (don't worry) about sending anything :) k!
Oh, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Ellie, Grandma Riggs, Grandma Pace, and Desi, and others I missed. Sorry about such late notice. I have been thinking about you on your birthdays and hope all is well!!!! AND have a WONDERFUL, FANTASTIC, INCREDIBLE, MAANINDOT THANKSGIVING!!!! I'm going to miss being with family for Thanksgiving, but maybe we'll do something cool in Cebu, who knows.
I wish I had more time, but I have to get going thanks again for all the letters and packages and prayers that I've been getting I feel so loved.
Have a MARVELOUS WEEK, EAT A TON,  a little extra for me hehehehe ;) and I LOVE YOU ALL. 
    Sister Riggs

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Countdown