Friday, November 1, 2013

Second Email!

October 24, 2013

Komusta ang akong pamilya ug mga amigo!! 

I have loved all the letters I got from each of you so thank you so much! I hope you are all doing well and are having a wonderful time in school at work or whatever you are doing. Sometimes I still feel like I am in school because I am learning a ton and study a lot, but it's more fun that than. And the feeling here is better. 

First of all thank you so much Bradshaw's for that delicious bread. I'm pretty sure it was homemade and man did that make my day. And the honey butter!! Wow, that means so much. And my district loved it. So you all are great ;) Also tell Kayla CONGRATULATIONS for me, that is sooooooooooo exciting. I know she will do incredible and bring so many people to this gospel because of her strong testimony. 

And sorry Grandma and Aunt Rebecca I got your letters, which were so sweet and heartfelt, but I don't have time to write back separately, but they made me feel so loved when I read them so thank you. And Grandma, just ask my family about Dear Elder, you need to make an account, then you are good to go. 

So last week I didn't get to say all I wanted about last week, but I wanted to say that when Dallin H. Oaks spoke I got to be in the MTC choir. HOLY SMOKES!! Most amazing experience ever. We got to sing Praise to the Man and wow, it was so powerful. Our director told us a lot more about Joseph Smith which made the song a lot more meaningful. That night was broad casted to all the MTC's in the world. And apparently the camera showed me and Sister Hamson, a girl in my District 2 times, during the video. It was so hard not to look up to be able to see yourself, but I was able to manage. It was just cool to hear friends come up to me and say they saw me in the choir. I am so doing that again. I love being in that choir. It's wonderful!
   We got 2 new investigators this week to teach and I feel more comfortable with Cebuano. I can at least make simple sentences in my head without reading from the books, but sentences for lessons are so obscure and don't sound anything like the normal words so they are a little more difficult. My companion and I are trying not to use our notes as much, but it is tricky. It's just easier to connect with the investigator that way. Then they trust you more. Oh and the investigator I told you about last week that we taught, um. . . . yeah,  he's our teacher. WHAT?! that was so weird when we found that out. So both our "investigators" are our teachers. Which makes it kind of hard to stay in character, but they are both super nice, which makes it easier. We were told to think of the investigator as a friend you have always wanted to share the gospel with and pretend like you are teaching to them. 
     It is weird sometimes to know what to do with my kaupon (companion) She is so sweet and I do love her so much, but when I try to talk with her and she isn't saying a lot back to me, it is so hard. I don't know if she just isn't in the mood to talk or is having a bad day. I think it might just be because she misses her family, i'm just not exactly sure. And there are other days she just loves to talk and tells me all about home and other things. And then on the way to dinner or something she'll see some of her friends and just start talking in Kiribas to them and I have know idea what they are saying. So she talks to them a ton with a lot of energy and just seems sad with me. I don't know, but hopefully I can figure her out. Also she likes to take her time doing things. We are late to pretty much everything, so I am definitely learning a lot of patience. I don't know if I should encourage her in a kind way to try to get ready faster or something, but I'm just not sure. I don't want to be to pushy, but feel like I do need to tell her something. I feel like in their country things are a lot more laid back and they don't have to tight of schedules, I just don't know. So maybe i'll just talk to her about it and that would be better than just waiting. Cuz sometimes I can just be waiting for 5-10 minutes, which really isn't that long, but I don't really like being late. plus we have been told, we are on the Lord's time and if we are a 15 minutes late everyday, that means we just wasted 2 weeks of our mission. UGH, WHAT?! I don't want to do that, so I need to do something about it. I do think she's awesome and love her personality. She is starting to come out of her shell little by little, I am just being taught a lot from her. And she doesn't make decisions. Um. . . sound like someone you know?. . . MMMEEEE. oops, guilty. I know how all of you feel now, it's kind of frustrating to always be the one making decisions. That's funny, i understand now. So sorry. but she is great and we have some great times together laughing, taking pictures, and teaching together. I feel like we are becoming more unified as time goes on, it's great!!! 
         The teachers here have taught us so much. There are so many different styles in their teaching and they really all are so helpful. I have learned so much more about teaching with the Spirit and listening to the investigators so you know what their needs are so you can help them in all the ways that you can. 
              Oh my gosh the temple is so neat I love having it so close! We get to walk there every Sunday after Sacrament meeting and every P-Day to actually do work at the temple. It is the best thing ever. We just did family names today, one of the sisters in our District had her mom send her some and it was really incredible. While I was doing one name during initiators, the Sister helping me started crying. She told me, wow, she must have been waiting. AHHH, that was so cool so hear her say she knows this lady has been waiting to get her work done and have me be the one helping her. 
        This week has been pretty cool, we do the same thing over and over which kind of gets old. We have so much class time, but it has been refreshing to hear new speakers and teach new people and be taught from different people. This week we got to hear from Sister Elizabeth Rose a member of the General Board who talked to us about her mission in Japan and how we need to bring "souls unto Him". I love that. Also from Stephen B. Allen, managing director in the missionary department. And Lynn G Robbins, of the 70 and his wife, Jan Robbins. Does Grandpa know him? All that they have said has really given me inspiration. I don't have time to say it all, but I did write it down and will read it throughout my mission and be able to share so much more of it when I get home. The parts that stood out to me in their talks were if we are diligent and obedient we can be GOLDEN missionaries. I love the way Jan Robbins put that. We were told again and again by Lynn G. Robbins to open our mouths, how can Heavenly Father put people in our paths if we don't open our mouths? He related that to the chances of hitting a ball in baseball without swinging. um. .  . it doesn't happen. I thought that was a perfect example. We also need to open our eyes before our mouths and make sure that we teach people not lessons. We can't just go up to some one and start reciting what we have memorized from a lesson, we have to ask them questions about themselves and get to know them before we know what they need to be taught or what they already know. It is so much better to connect with people than contact them. I think that is so sweet and so true. I have learned so much from being here, and I have probably heard these things a thousand times, but it all seems to relate to missionary work. Even scriptures I read, I can apply it to my life right now. It's weird. I never thought about certain scriptures that way before, it's neat. 

I'm sorry if this doesn't make sense, my thoughts are probably scattered everywhere and I really don't like how we don't have much time to write to everyone. It's annoying. Please bare with me. And forgive me for again not having tons to say, but life here is great and it feels more like home with people here from school. I love it!!!

Thanks for all you're great examples and for all I have been sent, I love getting mail and having so much support, it's WONDERFUL!!! It feels like Christmas, just like when new people come into the MTC, i feel so cool since I've been here for 2 weeks now. I feel like I know where things are and kind of what I am doing, it's great!

i'll try to send more pictures/info next time, but this is what I had time for 

I LOVE YOU ALL TONS AND HOPE ALL IS GOING WELL!!!! 
             SINCERELY SISTER RIGGS (LAUREL)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Countdown